Service Above Self
The Rotarian's 4-Way Test of the things we think, say, or do:
1. Is it the Truth?
2. Is it Fair to all concerned?
3. Will it build Goodwill and better Friendships?
4. Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
The Object of Rotary
The Object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the idea of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and, in particular, to encourage and foster:
- The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service.
- High ethical standards in business and profession; the recognition of worthiness of all useful occupation; and the dignifying of each Rotarian's occupation as an opportunity to serve society.
- The application of the ideal of service in each Rotarian's personal, business and community life.
- The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional persons united in the ideal of service.
Avenues of Service
We channel our commitment to service at home and abroad through five Avenues of Service, which are the foundation of club activity.
- Club Service focuses on making clubs strong. A thriving club is anchored by strong relationships and an active membership development plan.
- Vocational Service calls on every Rotarian to work with integrity and contribute their expertise to the problems and needs of society. Learn more in An Introduction to Vocational Service and the Code of Conduct.
- Community Service encourages every Rotarian to find ways to improve the quality of life for people in their communities and to serve the public interest. Learn more in Communities in Action: A Guide to Effective Projects.
- International Service exemplifies our global reach in promoting peace and understanding. We support this service avenue by sponsoring or volunteering on international projects, seeking partners abroad, and more.
- Youth Service recognizes the importance of empowering youth and young professionals through leadership development programs such as Rotaract, Interact, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards, and Rotary Youth Exchange.